Thursday, October 29, 2009


I recently had the privilege of going to see my beautiful daughter Francesca in her class, Room 9, at Cockle Bay School in Auckland.

I had sent her in one day with a magazine article on tea to share with the class and she came home with a request from her classmates for the Bell Tea Guy to come in and talk to them about tea. Cockle Bay is a great school and Francesca is lucky in having a superb teacher in year 4, Kirsten Holmes (Miss Holmes to me!). Miss Holmes confessed that she was unable to answer the deluge of questions that she had been asked about tea and that I simply just had to come in and deal with them myself.

Another connection is that Bell's financial controller's daughter Georgia is in the same class. She made it very clear that her dad is the guy who gives me all the money for the travelling I do, and I guess she is right about that!

We had a fantastic time and I don't think I have been asked such searching questions by any group before. The kids were most interested in the travelling that I have done which was a good chance for me to reminisce about some of my experiences over the years. We had a go at slurping and spitting, so much a part of my life, and they got the hang of that very quickly, so my apologies to their parents if they were still practicing in the evening! It was also the only time I have ever asked a group how many of them wanted to become tea-tasters and more than half the room put their hands up! Miss Holmes is now leading a science project for the school and tea may well be part of that.

Keep up the good work Room 9 it was great to meet you all.

2 comments:

Room 9 Cockle Bay said...

Thanks for coming to visit us all in Room 9. We really enjoyed learning how to taste tea. Hot Chocolate Man wishes you were still here. The Baseball Boys (and the rest of the class) want you to come back and visit so we can slurp and spit more tea. You were really funny to listen to.

Kirsten Holmes said...

You did a fantastic job of entertaining and teaching the kids. Thank you for enthusing them about a daily commodity we all take for granted. If the tea industry ever tires you the kids would love to hear more of your travel stories!