Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bell's Latest Blend: India Origin


It is great to know having just returned from my travels that the first packs of our new India Origin Tea have hit the shelves in the South Island. Thought it worth introducing on my blog. In fact I took a couple of packs out with me to Vietnam and China to show my colleagues there and they thought it was great.

India Origin grew from a seed of an idea over a cup of tea in the old tasting rooms at 305 East Tamaki Road. We were reflecting on the success of Kenya Bold and the loyal following that has grown with it, and we thought where next on our journey to bring the world's greatest teas to New Zealand? Indian tea has long been a favourite of mine and I told a story about how one of my first jobs in the UK was to hand- blend finest Assam and Darjeeling teas for Buckingham Palace. Less than a year later we have brought India Origin to market. It has been a great team effort. All our blends within the Bell portfolio are unique to us and New Zealand, but India Origin is truly a first on a world scale. We have taken two of the world's greatest teas, Darjeeling and Assam and brought them together, which many people, including respected tasters I know, said couldn't and, possibly shouldn't, be done. We've done it anyway.

India Origin is a blend of India's two great teas; the elegant vitality of Darjeeling and the velvety smoothness of Assam. It is perfect late in the afternoon, shared with others and goes very well with food. Of all our great blends this is truly one to be savoured, and to take some time over!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Wow - sounds fantastic - I can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Haven't stopped drinking it since I received it. Very smooth.

Bell Tea Guy said...

Thanks for your positive comments on our new India Origin tea, really great to hear and makes it all worthwhile! Cheers, Matt